At the May meeting of the Stewartry U3A, John Anstey from the Devil’s Porridge Museum, Eastriggs, told members about what was described at the time of the First World War as the ” greatest factory on Earth”.
In early 1915 British solders were in desperate need of a reliable supply of ammunition. The Government appointed a Minister of Munitions, Lloyd George, to be responsible for increasing production of ammunition. It was decided to build an enormous factory stretching over some nine miles to the east of Annan, from Dornock to Gretna. Over 100,000 Irish navvies were recruited to build the factory and the townships of Eastriggs and Gretna, modelled on the lines of garden towns, to house the workers who came from all over the country. The townships had churches, cinemas, libraries and sporting facilities with a range of houses from those for the management to hostels for the many single women who worked in the factory. Twenty thousand people were recruited, with 8,000 being experienced professionals.
The factory’s main purpose was the production of cordite colloquially known as the “devil’s porridge”. As part of the process a highly explosive mix of gun cotton and nitro glycerine was kneaded by hand and as a result of the working conditions the women were exposed to the mix and acid splashes which turned their skin yellow and they became known as “yellow canaries”. The factory rapidly doubled the country’s production of cordite.
Following the Armistice the Government had hoped that the factory would continue as a chemical manufacturing facility but this did not work out, much of the equipment was sold off and the factory demolished in 1919-1920.
The next meeting of the Stewartry U3A will be held on Tuesday 24 September at 2.00pm in the Parish Church, Castle Douglas, when Gordon Cowan will give a talk on Alexander Murray – from shepherd’s son to linguistic expert.




